Safety Tips for the Holiday Season
From our team at Annuity Alliance, we want to wish you a very safe and Happy Holidays! While our team discusses how annuities are a “safe” way to protect your retirement savings, we also hope you will take into consideration some of these safety tips in December and January.
- Do not overload your electrical outlets.
- Don’t connect more than three strands of holiday lights together.
- Inspect your decorations for frayed/exposed wires and broken bulbs.
- Turn off/unplug any decorations before going to bed.
- Protect cords from damage.
- Keep candles away from flammable materials.
- If you have a live tree, make sure it’s fresh and has water to keep it fresh.
- If you have an artificial tree, make sure it has a fire resistant label.
- Try not to drive alone or at night – if you shop alone at night, park in well-lighted areas and remember to lock your doors.
- Park close to your destination as you can.
- Do not leave your car running or unoccupied especially with children inside.
- Do not leave expensive packages or valuable in plain sight in your car (i.e., front seat, back seat, etc.).
- Ask a security person to escort you before leaving your location.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Keep a record of all your credit card numbers in a safe place at your home.
- Avoid wearing expensive clothing or jewelry.
- Don’t overload yourself with packages to maintain clear visibility and avoid issues.
- Prepare your car for winter weather before hitting the road for the holidays.
- Teach them to stay close to you at all times when shopping.
- Never allow them to go to your car alone.
- Have them memorize your cell phone number in case of emergency.
- Do not leave them at home with a stranger – only a trusted babysitter.
- Doublecheck the locks on your doors and windows especially when leaving.
- If taking a vacation, make sure a neighbor or family member collects packages and mail.
- Use timers for your indoor and outdoor lights.
- Make sure holiday gifts cannot be seen through a window.
- Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.
- Take packages off your porch as soon as possible to avoid theft.
- Make sure unknown visitors to your house have proper identification (i.e., mail person, Amazon delivery, etc.) and do not let them enter your location.
We know this year may not feel the same with social distancing and keep your family safe during the holidays. Annuity Alliance hopes you will make the most of the time together with friends and family to celebrate the highlights of 2020.